Saturday 24 April 2010

Design Practice 2

Before writing the new brief I wanted to research into contexts and products that I know I want to work with and gain a deeper understanding of. Experimenting with typography and editorial design in the form of magazine layouts is what I want to drive towards with this brief to produce a design direction for my ongoing portfolio. Because I have to consider product, range and distribution, I will obviously create designs suitable for across a range of media, not just magazine layouts, but this is my chosen starting point.

I want to play around with the hierarchy of text and be able to design bold, fresh titles for the spreads like these examples below.




































I have begun to notice that I am drawn to the combination of double page spread photography, or one impact image page with type cleverly positioned around or on top of that. These examples all have that in common:



































Denisdesigns.com












Boom Tang magazine












Life Lounge Magazine


This design below is different from the others as it involves simple illustration as the main element, not photography, but I chose it as an example of how simple colours and playing around with the space can turn a small one column spread into an aesthetically well designed piece.











New Zealand magazine, Idealog, Issue 12, pg 46

No comments:

Post a Comment